1. Who must file the Heavy Vehicle Usage tax (HVUT)?
All Heavy Vehicle Owners - Individuals (Sole Proprietors), Limited Liability Companies
(LLC), Corporations, Partnerships, or any other organization such as a non-profit,
charitable, educational, etc., must file the Tax return for Heavy Vehicle Usage.
2. What is meant by E-file?
E-filing is submitting your 2290 HVUT online. It is the safest and most secure way
to process your tax return
3. How do I register to file with www.etaxform2290.com?
4. Can I e-file my return without registering with ETAX FORM2290?
No, you will have to register with us to e-file.
5. How long does it take to file my Tax return?
It will take few minutes to file your return, if you have all required information
6. Can I save my tax return and come back after a while to file my return?
Yes. You can save your Tax return and come back later and file your return.
7. Can I keep multiple businesses with single user registration?
Yes, you are allowed to have multiple businesses with single user registration.
8. Do I need to print before filing electronically?
Since it is an e- filing, there is no need to print before filing electronically.
9. How do I get my forgotten Password?
To retrieve your forgotten Password, Click on the 'Forgot Password' link and we
will send the details to your registered email address after verification.
10. How long do you keep my tax returns details?
We maintain 2 years of your Tax records. You may log in any time to retrieve your
previous 2 years Tax returns.
11. How do I update my Business information?
You may Login to your account any time and update your latest Business Information.
12. Can I upload multiple vehicles information at once?
Yes, using our excel file template you can upload multiple vehicles information.
13. What is Employer Identification Number (EIN)?
It is a 9 digit unique number assigned by IRS for the Business / Organization.
14. What should I do, if I do not have an Employer Identification Number (EIN)?
Generally, a business needs an Employer Identification Number (EIN). You can apply
15. Is my information safe on your website?
All information pertaining to your e-filing are safe and secure as per our "Privacy
16. How do I contact IRS regarding electronic filing?
United States: 866-699-4096 (toll free)
Canada or Mexico: 859-669-5733 (not toll free)
1. When should I file Form 2290?
Form 2290 must be filed for each month a taxable vehicle is first used on public
highways during the current period.
Tax period begins on July 1 and ends on June 30 every year.
Form 2290 must be filed by the last day of the month following the month of first
2. Is there any extension of time to file?
Before the due date of the return, you may request an extension of time to file
your return by writing to the Department of Treasury, Internal Revenue Service Center,
Cincinnati, OH 45999-0031. The letter must fully explain the cause of the delay
Except for taxpayers abroad, the extension may be for no more than 6 months An extension
of time to file does not extend the time to pay the tax A separate request has to
be made for extension of time to pay
3. How to file the Form 2290 Tax returns?
There are two ways in which you can file your Tax.
E- Filing is submitting Tax Returns to the IRS electronically
Paper Filing is sending the Tax Returns to the IRS through the USPS
4. What is a Stamped Schedule 1?
A Stamped Schedule 1 is a proof of payment and declaration of taxable vehicles acknowledged
5. Is electronic filing required for each return reporting 25 or more vehicles?
Electronic filing is required for each return reporting 25 vehicles or more.
6. What is the maximum number of vehicles per return?
Currently there is no limitation; however we recommend to utilize our Specialized
services to file for larger number of vehicles.
7. Can I still file after the due date using ETAXFORM2290.COM?
Yes, But there will be penalties which will be calculated and communicated to you
8. Is there any Interest for late payments?
Yes. There will be interest charged on late payment of Tax by IRS.
9. What is a Highway Motor Vehicle?
Highway Motor Vehicles are designed to carry loads over public highways.
10. What types of vehicles are taxable?
Highway motor vehicles that ply on public highway having a Taxable Gross weight
of 55000 pounds or more are taxable which includes Trucks, Buses and Trailers/Semi-Trailers.
11. What are the vehicles that are exempted from Tax?
To claim exemption from tax, the following Highway motor vehicle must be used and
The Federal Government
The District of Columbia
A state or local government
The American National Red Cross
A non-profit volunteer fire department, ambulance association, or rescue squad
An Indian tribal government but only if the vehicle’s use involves the exercise
of an essential tribal government function, or
A mass transportation authority if it is created under a statute that gives it certain
powers normally exercised by state
Qualified blood collector vehicles used by qualified blood collector organizations,
and Mobile machinery that meets the specifications for a chassis as described under
specially designed mobile machinery for non-transportation functions
1. What is meant by Business Name?
Business Name is the registered name of Business or an Organization.
2. What is a PIN?
It is 5 digit random number (no alphabets or symbols and no zeroes) serves as an
electronic signature used to communicate with IRS in future.
3. How do I make a Final return, if I intend not to file returns for the vehicle
You can make a Final return, if you no longer wish to file returns for the vehicle
by clicking Final Return option.
4. Will I be able to use my Social Security Number (SSN) as an Employer Identification
No, IRS does not accept Social Security Number in place of Employer Identification
1. What is a Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)?
The Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) is a unique 17 digit number containing alphanumeric
characters. It can be obtained from Title, Registration, or Actual Vehicle.
2. What is Taxable Gross Weight?
The Total Gross Weight of a vehicle is the sum of:-
1.Actual unloaded weight of the vehicle fully equipped for service,
2.Actual unloaded weight of any trailers or semi-trailers fully equipped for service
customarily used in combination with the vehicle,
3.Weight of the maximum load customarily carried on the vehicle and on any trailers
or semi-trailers customarily used in combination with the vehicle.
Taxable Gross Weight = 1 + 2 + 3
3. What is an Actual unloaded weight?
It is an empty (tare) weight of the vehicle excluding Fuel, Water, Oil and any other
4. What is meant by Fully Equipped Vehicle?
Fully Equipped Vehicles are vehicles which include the body, all accessories, and
all equipment attached to or carried on the vehicle for use in its operation or
maintenance and a full supply of fuel, oil and water. Example: Concrete Mixer
5. What is a Mileage use limit?
Mileage Use Limit is the total mileage of a vehicle used on Public Highway during
the tax period.
6. Which vehicle is considered to be Destroyed vehicle?
A vehicle is considered as destroyed, when it is damaged by accident or other casualty
to such an extent that it is not economical to rebuild.
7. When is a vehicle considered to be a Suspended Vehicle?
A suspended vehicle is a registered highway motor vehicle which has been used for
5000 miles or less on public highways within the 12 months of filing period.
8. What is meant by an Agricultural Vehicle?
An Agricultural Vehicle is a registered highway motor vehicle that is primarily
used for farming purposes which includes transporting any farm commodity to or from
a farm or used directly for agricultural production.
9. What is meant by an Agricultural Vehicle?
A vehicle is considered a logging vehicle if it is used exclusively for the
1.Transportation of products harvested from the forested site, or
2.It exclusively transports the products harvested from the forested site to and
from locations on a forested site.
3.Additionally, vehicle must be registered as a vehicle used exclusively for logging
under applicable vehicle registration laws in the respective state.
10. I live in Canada or Mexico. Can I still use your services?
Yes. Our system has been developed to easily accept foreign addresses outside the
11. If I choose check payment, can I still get my Stamped Schedule 1 today?
No, you will have to wait until IRS accepts your Tax return.
1. What is an Amendment of 2290?
Amendment of 2290 is to calculate and file the tax due to increase in Total Taxable
Gross Weight or Mileage Use Limit was exceeded.
2. What is an amendment month?
Amendment month is the month of increase in Taxable Gross Weight or Mileage Use
limit was exceeded.
3. What are the categories for which an amendment can be done?
The following are the categories for which the amendments can be done: - Change
in VIN correction, Increase in Taxable Gross Weight and Mileage Use limit was exceeded.
4. Can the amended month and the month of first Vehicle used filed for the tax year
Yes, amended month can be equal to the month of first vehicle used but not less
than the month of first vehicle used.
1. What is meant by Credit?
Credit is the refund claimed by Vehicle Owner for the tax paid on a vehicle that
1.Sold, Destroyed or Stolen before June 1 and not used during the remaining period,or
2.Used during the prior period 5,000 miles or less (7,500 miles or less for agricultural
2. What is meant by a Credit Claim?
A credit for the tax paid for the vehicles that were destroyed, stolen, or sold
before June 1, can be claimed during the next Tax filing.
3. Will I be able to claim credit even if I do not have tax due?
No. Your credit claim will be processed only with tax due and the tax due must greater
than the credit claim.
1. How do I make the Tax Payment?
Payment can be made through
2.Electronic Federal Tax Payment System (EFTPS)
2. Can I pay the Tax using Credit Card?
No, Credit Card option cannot be used to pay the Tax.
3. What is an Electronic Federal Tax Payment System (EFTPS)?
EFTPS is Electronic Federal Tax Payment System by IRS for the purpose of Tax payments.
4. Where do I find the Routing Number?
You will find 9 digits Routing Number in the Check.
5. How do I pay the filing charges?
You can pay the filing charges by credit / Debit card (Master, Visa and Amex).
6. Do I need to pay the filing charge in advance?
No, filing charge is applicable only when you opt to file with ETAX Form 2290.COM.
1. What if I find a mistake on Form 2290 that I just filed?
Re-Filing is possible only with respect to VIN correction but for other changes
you will have to contact IRS.
2. What if I have missed some vehicles on Form 2290 that I just filed?
If you have missed some vehicles you will need to create a new return and include
3. What if the weight of the vehicle increases after I have filed the Tax return?
You can amend the previously filed return and make the weight increase corrections
and pay the tax due.
4. What if I buy additional vehicles after efiling?
If you purchase additional vehicles, you will need to create a new return that includes
the vehicles purchased and pay the taxes that are due.
5. What should I do if I need to change Address after efiling?
You need to notify the IRS to ensure that you receive any IRS correspondence to
the changed address.
6. What do I do, if DMV won’t accept my Schedule 1 as proof of payment?
In case of Direct Debit payment, attach the bank account statement along with Schedule
1 copy. In the case of EFTPS, attach the acknowledgement obtained from EFTPS with
Schedule 1 copy.
7. Can I E-File a VIN correction?
Yes. ETAX Form 2290 offers this as an unique feature; VIN corrections can now be
E-Filed with the IRS. And this service with ETAX Form 2290 comes as free.